A nebuliser should be cleaned regularly including the masks/ mouth pieces/ medication chamber. If the nebuliser is not cleaned regularly the medication will take much longer to nebulise and use.
- Clean everything daily if the nebuliser is in regular use.
- If the nebuliser is not used daily clean it after every use.
- Disconnect the mask, mouthpiece and medication chamber. Wash all the pieces in a warm water and detergent solution and rinse.
- Leave these pieces to air dry and put back together again the next morning.
- Do not use towels, tissues, a hair dryer or on a radiator to help drying in case you damage the equipment.
- DON’T wash the tubing this should remain dry.
- Run the nebuliser for a few seconds before you add the next dose of medication.
Video provided with permission from the Irish Thoracic Society.