If you have been taught ‘Pelvic Floor Exercises’ in the past then you should continue to do these again.
- Try to contract your pelvic floor muscles during your Airway Clearance Technique or when coughing and sneezing.
- Using an Airway Clearance Technique to clear sputum from your lungs reduces how much coughing is required to clear your chest. This can help reduce or avoid Stress Urinary Incontinence.
- Avoid drinks high in caffeine as this makes you need to pass urine more often.
- Try drinks such as herbal tea and diluting juice.
- If you haven’t had any instruction on pelvic floor exercises in the past you can ask your GP for a referral for physiotherapy.
- You should also discuss a referral to the continence service with a health care Professional, or you may be able to self refer.
- Stress incontinence can be embarrassing but it can also be treated in a variety of ways. Don’t suffer in silence when you can get help.