Varenicline (Champix®) is a medicine that reduces cravings and reduces withdrawal symptoms. It does not contain nicotine.
It can be four times more effective in helping you to quit than on your own.
To work it must be started about two weeks before your “Quit date”.
- Is not used in combination with Nicotine Replacement Therapy.
- Is not suitable for some people so discuss with your GP, practice nurse, pharmacist or the leader at your smoking cessation class.
- Can be used for adults over 18 years.
- Can be issued from selected community pharmacies.
- Reduces craving and can double your chance of succeeding.
- Changes your brain’s response to nicotine.
- As it is not suitable for everyone and is only available on prescription from your doctor you should discuss with him/her your options.