Tips for daily living
9) Meal planning and eating
© Crown Copyright 2009
- Try to eat nutritious foods. Don’t skip meals (see Dietician’s healthy eating tips), eating regularly helps your energy levels.
- Planning your meals in advance can help.
- Consider resting between cooking and eating.
- Small meals, more often, can be better for you if you are breathless when eating.
- Sit while eating. Eat slowly and put down utensils between bites. Remember to eat slowly and to control your breathing while chewing.
- If necessary try taking your medication and inhalers before your meal as this can make your breathing easier.
- Try not to fill up on drinks while eating. Avoid fizzy drinks which will make you feel full.
- Cooking and eating with family or a friend shares the task, and is sociable, so you are more likely to enjoy your food.