For the mannitol challenge test:
- You will have resting Spirometry measured before starting the challenge.
- You will be asked to breathe in powder from an inhaler, and asked to hold your breath for 5 seconds before breathing out.
- The Spirometry test will be repeated after 1 minute.
- This is repeated with the amount of powder you breathe in being doubled each time. Spirometry is repeated after each increased dose to check how the airways are working.
- Once the maximum dose has been given or there is a deterioration in your breathing, the test will be stopped.
- If your breathing is worse before the maximum dose has been reached, a nebuliser will be given to relieve any symptoms. You will be supervised by a physiologist during and after this test.