Spirometry testing may be postponed;
- If you have had recent surgery.
- If you have had a chest infection within the past 6 weeks as this may give unreliable results.
- If you have had a recent condition called pneumothorax. (This is an abnormal collection of air in the space between lungs and chest wall called the pleura and it interferes with normal breathing).
- If you have had a recent operation to your eyes or ongoing eye problems. Spirometry tests can increase pressure in the eyes during the test.
- If you have heart problems which are unstable this may prevent you having the test.
- If you have been diagnosed with an Aneurysm – in the brain or abdomen. (An Aneurysm is weakness in the wall of a blood vessel causing a bulge) there is an increased risk this may burst due to increased pressure during the spirometry test.
- If you feel sick or are sick (as this may affect your effort).