How your child’s asthma affects you and the rest of your family
3) Practical issues for parents
© Crown copyright 2014
- Take extra precautions to reduce risk from triggers – avoiding sprays, air fresheners, more frequent laundry, vacuuming, avoiding food allergy triggers.
- Strain on finances – hospital and GP appointments, time off work when your child is ill, extra insurance when you go on holiday.
- Planning and choices for the family – everyday events may need extra planning, sleepovers, holidays, outings.
- Communicating with school – making sure your child has all the inhalers and medication they need when they are at school and that staff know how to contact you.
- Trying to make some family time as often as you can.