Younger children in the family:
- May not understand why their brother/sister is ill sometimes and well at other times. Especially around the time the child is first diagnosed.
- They may be frightened that they will “get asthma too”.
- Might be jealous of the attention the child with asthma gets from you and others.
- May find it difficult to express their feelings about illness in the family.
- They may fear their brother/sister will not get better. The may fear the worst unless you talk to them and explain in words they can understand.
- They may not understand why they can’t have a pet if their bother/sister is allergic to animals.
- Talk to your younger children to reassure them and answer any questions they have about asthma and their brother/sister.