Vaccinations for children with asthma
2) Influenza vaccine – how it’s given
© Crown copyright 2014
- The flu vaccine does not contain live virus so it can not give your child the flu.
- It is given once a year by injection to the upper outer area of the arm and it takes only seconds. It should not be painful, but some children may be apprehensive about having injections.
- Possible mild side effects include pain, swelling and redness at the injection site, also occasionally slight fever, shivering, headache and aching muscles.
- These symptoms usually disappear within one to two days without any treatment.