What to expect of your child at different ages
6) 10 – 12 years old
© Crown copyright
- As the child grows they will often be so busy and distracted they don’t even notice their symptoms.
- You will say “take your inhaler” and they will say “in a minute” and in a minute will probably have forgotten!
- Your child needs constant reminders to take inhalers until a regular routine is established.
- They still need parental supervision when using their inhalers but they should be able to take them independently.
- Should be able to use a dry powder inhaler device or breath activated inhaler if they prefer.
- Some children may start to feel self conscious about using an inhaler in front of class mates.
- Keep a look out for any signs of bullying at this age.
- Stress can make asthma symptoms worse.