What to expect of your child at different ages
8) 15 years
© Crown copyright
- Busy year at school with national exams.
- Don’t want asthma to interfere with their life.
- Often choose to use their inhalers and take more responsibility for this.
- Some teenagers will be tempted by risky behaviours such as alcohol, drugs or smoking. Look out for this as it can affect their asthma control and effectiveness of their medicines.
- Should be able to take inhalers and be the main participant of the consultation with their asthma team.
- Parents should be more reassured that the teenager knows their own asthma and how to manage it.
- Still need help getting to appointments and to collect prescriptions.