Your teenagers asthma
2) Asthma consultations
© Crown copyright
- The young person, you the parent and the healthcare team should be in partnership.
- Your healthcare team should give the young person the opportunity to be seen alone from the age of 12 years old.
- The team start the consultation with young person. As they get older and more confident they should ask the questions they need to know about their asthma.
- Careful explanation and discussion is needed with young person and you the parent. This may take several attempts.
- The young person will build up confidence, independence and communication skills for the consultation.
- Health professionals should listen to get the young person’s honest and unbiased perspective.
- This way of working is recommended in National Guidelines.
- You can join the review to summarise and discuss the health teams observations.
- Everyone should agree on the next steps.
- The young person may need you the parent to help them arrange their appointment, get them there and help arrange their prescriptions.